Aerial Yoga FAQs
What is Aerial Yoga?
Aerial Yoga explores traditional poses incorporating the silk hammock as a prop helping to ease tension, alleviate joint and muscle pain, build core and upper body strength, increase flexibility, and balance, and bring a sense of calm and ease to the mind and body.
Is Aerial Yoga Safe?
All movement-based activities contain some amount of risk. However, aerial yoga at Insight is a very safe activity. We have consulted with professional aerial riggers who have outfitted us with the safest equipment possible. Each of our aerial hammocks can safely hold up to 1,500 pounds and our equipment is regularly inspected. All classes are taught by trauma-informed instructors who create a safe, welcoming, inclusive, and supportive space where students are encouraged to explore the practice at their own pace.
What are the benefits of Aerial Yoga?
- Traditional yoga poses, including inversions, are more accessible
- Increases flexibility, strength, and stability
- Improves spinal health through traction and decompression
- Alleviates joint and muscle pain
- Increases core strength
- Improves respiration and circulation
- Improves balance and proprioception (bodily awareness)
- Supports regulation of the nervous system and endocrine system
- Engages the parasympathetic nervous system leading to stress reduction and improved mental health and well-being
- Develops and strengthens the mind-body connection
- Provides an opportunity to play and have fun in a safe and supportive environment
What can I expect from class? How can I prepare?
- Avoid wearing perfume, lotions, and strong scents.
- No jewelry or clothing with zippers or buttons are allowed as this can damage the silks.
- We recommend wearing clothing that covers the armpits and knees for added comfort.
- Some students experience dizziness or nausea when new to the practice. We recommend only a light snack before practice and being well hydrated. You may want to bring a water bottle to class.
- For safety reasons, we ask that you are quiet and listen attentively while the teacher is talking and that you refrain from instructing other students.
- Please arrive 10 minutes ahead of time to be properly fitted for your aerial silk.
- Due to limited space, no-shows or cancellations made less than 12hrs in advance will result in a 100% charge or loss of class for pass holders.
- Aerial Yoga is for ages 14+. NOTE: Ages 14-17yrs must register and have a registered adult attend class with them.
I have a health condition; can I practice Aerial Yoga?
The following may be contraindicated for aerial yoga, and it is recommended that you consult your physician prior to attending an aerial yoga class.
- Heart disease
- Propensity to vertigo
- Very high or low blood pressure
- Recent concussion or head injury
- Recent surgery
- Botox within 48hrs